Sep 12, 2017

What are the fees and finances for EU students?

When you attend a Dutch university of applied sciences like the HZ, you will have to pay tuition fees, but there will also be other expenses. To give you a clear idea of what costs you will face during your time at the HZ, I made an overview of costs as well as ways to add to your financial means. There are different rules for EU and non-EU students in this regard. For now, I will focus on costs of living, tuition fees and funding and scholarships for EU students. Have you got more questions? I'm a study advisor and you can always ask me

Tuition fees
In the Netherlands, tuition fees are relatively low. Students have to pay an annual tuition fee. The rates change each year. You can find the current tuition fee that applies to you on this section of the HZ website. This fee pays for your classes. It does not include costs for travel, housing, books or study material.

Housing in Vlissingen is arranged via two reliable partners. Rent starts at (roughly) € 250,- a month for a room without furniture. At additional cost, you can also rent furniture and matrasses, etcetera. If you go for a room with more amenities, you might pay up to € 450,- a month. 

As an EU student, you are not required to take out a Dutch public health-care insurance if you are already insured in your home country. But please note, that as soon as you have a part-time job in the Netherlands or if you do a paid internship, you will need one. You will also need a liability insurance. You can either arrange this in your home country or in the Netherlands. There are three insurance companies in the Netherlands that specialise in insurances for foreign students: Aon, IPS and Lippmann. Insurance will cost about € 450,- a year.

Study material and costs of living
You will spend between € 300,- and € 600,- a year on books and study materials. To pay for food and drinks and such, you should count on about € 300,- a month. Additionally, you will pay about € 100,- to € 350,- a year for excursions.

Funding and scholarships
For EU students there are no scholarships available. However, you may be eligible for student finance (consisting of a student loan and/or a student travel product) from DUO. You will always have to pay back the loan. More information on this type of funding and how to apply for it, is to be found on the DUO website.

One way of adding to your income, is to find a (part-time) job. The Dutch have a very high oral proficiency in English. This means that there are many job options for non-Dutch speakers like yourself. It is not only a means that will give you extra financial leeway; it will also be a great way to get to know the Dutch work floor.

Well, loads of practical information about fees and finances. I hope this will help you finding your way to go studying abroad. Have you got many more questions? Don't hesitate to contact me :)

All the best! 

Talk to a study advisor